I received numerous requests from my co-bloggers asking help for creating their own self-hosted Wordpress website. Before, I been using Blogger.com (Blogspot) as my blogging platform. Probably, this Content Management System (CMS) provided by Google is the easiest tool to share different ideas and personal thoughts. You just need a Google account and there you go. Write and publish your article, all for free. Blogger also provide ready-to-use templates for easy customization. If not, user can look for the desired design on websites that offer free and paid Blogger themes. Basically, Blogspot is the best option for most beginners.
Goodbye Blogger and Hello to Wordpress!Why are people leaving Blogger? For my personal reason, I moved to Wordpress because Blogger recent update for its dashboard makes me impossible to post and do some minor maintenance. As I mentioned, Operamini is my major browser to access my website. Due to limitation, the mobile browser couldn't load the Blogger Dashboard properly.
Making a Critical DecisionBefore I'll go ahead to the main course. Let me tell you some important things to keep in mind. These could bring you to some consequences whether to push it through or not.
- Blogger.com is free and always comes with blogspot.com subdomain.
- Photos uploaded were always saved on Picasa or on your Google Plus account.
- 99.9% uptime guarantee. In the very first place, it is owned by Google.
- Just always be aware that without violating its terms. You don't have to be afraid. I mean, no pornographic or illegal contents. It is your foundation not losing your blog.
- Disadvantages? Hmmm... Some programming languages is not supported by Blogger. Especially, PHP and so on you need some quite knowledge in coding to fixed issues on your own. Now that most widgets and functions are not pre-loaded on Blogger.
- For me, I was disappointed. I can't do anything with Operamini. I missed the Old Blogger Dashboard, I guess?
- You must keep in mind that you need a reliable hosting to make sure your website performance is not to worry.
- Beginners must familiarized to the concept on how to work with Wordpress. Sign up a free hosting account. I suggest Hostinger, however, you can try other free hosting services. I heard 000webhost is a great alternative option.
- Templates are plenty to choose.
- One thing makes Wordpress so popular, It has thousands of plugins that were made for different purposes.
- Some free hosting offers free subdomain, but don't rely on them. You may lost them one day. It is really recommended to buy a premium domain name for your website.
- Always remember to back up your files and database. Expect that free hosting might not be able to give you a good experience. As your website earned much traffic, after getting live downtime could ruin your blogging career. CPU usage exceeded that has an endless loop. Sooner, it will requires an account upgrade.
Wordpress Has Been Decided — Get Live with Hostinger!!!Have you come up to your final decision? Then, let's try how Wordpress dominates the web.
Important Wordpress Plugins
Well, a Wordpress is not completed without the help of plugins so here are some list of respected plugins that I can definitely recommend.
- Daily Stat - allows you to track your traffic, from device, OS, referrers, and keywords used to generate from Search Engines. A sidebar widgets that shows the popular post.
- Ad Injection - allowing different Ads to display at will. For Adsense publishers, this one is a big help.
- Akismet - pre-loaded plugins to control spamming.
- All in one Favicon - add favicon to your website.
- All In One SEO Pack - SEO optimizing tool. Note that some themes doesn't need it but incase they don't using this is highly advised.
- Audit Trail - tracks what is happening on the site.
- BackUpWordPress - creates automated back up for files and database.
- Breadcrumb NavXT - Adds a breadcrumb navigation showing the reader's path to their current location.
- Google XML Sitemaps v3 for qTranslate - generates xml sitemap to optimized search visibility.
- Growmap Anti Spambot Plugin - plugins that verify reader's comment and to avoid spams.
- MobilePress - turns your website into a mobile site. We value the readers that uses tablets, mobile phones, and other mobile devices that accessing the website.
- nrelate Related Content - displays related articles below post.
- Subscribe to Comments Reloaded - to let your readers and visitors subscribe at ease.
- Top Contributors - displays your blog authors and commentators with the highest rank.
- User Role Editor - plugin that is really advisable for multi-authorship blog.
- WP-PageNavi and Wp Pagenavi Style - adds a great pagination on a Wordpress website.
- WP Robots Txt - Edit your robots.txt file from the WordPress admin this is how would spiders should crawl your website.
- WP Status Notifier - sends email notification of posts pending review. Good for those who are accepting guest posts.