The alkaline diet is gaining popularity from Hollywood to Hyde Park. It's based on the premise that our 21st century diet is high in fats, sugars and processed food. These food tricks the pH balance in our body making it too acidic.
Health advocates take this as a serious health risk. Setting up for the full range of modern realities from diabetes to cancer. Advocates also say that shifting to an alkaline diet restores a healthy pH and offers protection against diseases. That's why the alkaline diet consists mainly of fruits and vegetables.
No Solid Proof for Alkaline Diet
Alkaline diet also eliminates all meat, dairy products, processed foods and caffeine. But, is there any scientific basis for this concept?
Not really! We can alter the pH of our urine by eating too many acidic foods. But that's not a measure of our body's pH level. Our lungs and kidneys regulate the pH balance in our blood keeping it healthy at 7.4—or slightly alkaline.
A kind of process that is not influenced by what we eat.
- Some studies indicate that a plant-based diet may improve bone health.
- Adapting of mostly vegetarian diet could also make us healthier and help you lose weight.
- Vitamin B12 for example can only get from animal sources are supplements.
- Although you can get protein from vegetables. You have to make the right choices such as whole grains and legumes.
Just be sure you don't eat too much refined and processed carbohydrates. Be sure to watch your portion sizes. Remember, though, balance is key. Don't be too restrictive and ake sure to get all the nutrients like protein and vitamin B12 that your body needs.
Alkaline Diet Vegetable Broth Recipe
An alkaline diet is a diet that emphasizes, to a varying degree, fresh fruits, vegetable, roots, and tubes, nuts, and legumes.
This vegetable broth fits the guidelines of the alkaline diet.
- 1 small zucchini (patola)
- 2 cups red potatoes (kamote)
- 3 cups celery stalks
- 2 cups broccoli heads
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 quarts of water
- Chop all vegetables into very fine pieces.
- Place them in the water and bring to a boil with the lid on.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Strain and drink the broth.
- This broth will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator.
- It may also be made in larger quantities and frozen.
If you have some tips for a healthy diet don't forget to put them on the comments below.