A parent always worries that their child to be handicapped in some way. While you may not be able to identify a specific disability or disorder. You can look out for signs and delays and talk to you child's pediatrician about them.
A major sign of developmental disorder is the lost of skills or traits your child once had. For example, if your daughter used to be very affectionate and talkative. She's end up now quiet and distant.
Intellectual disabilities or disorders may exists to put a toddler seems to be significantly behind her peers in reaching almost all cumulative emotional and social milestones. But, there is a great deal of variance here. Most children regularly develop in very different rates.
You should bring your two-year old to the doctor for screening if she;
- Can't speak in sentences of two words or more.
- Doesn't know at least 15 words.
- Can't imitate simple actions like clapping hands.
- Doesn't know how to push a toy truck.
- Doesn't know the function of everyday objects like a stove.
- Doesn't respond to the sound of your voice.
- And doesn't cuddle with you.
Signs of developmental delays in 3 to 5 year-olds include;
- Trouble solving simple problems such as putting a round peg into a round hole.
- Lack of make-believe games.
- Difficulty playing with simple toys.
- Trouble going up and down stairs.
- Lack of eye contact.
- Inability to follow three-step commands such as, "go to the kitchen, get an apple and bring it to me."
- Absence of interest in other children.
- Lack of a wide range of emotions.
- Inability to use plurals, past tense, or their first or last name.
Every child grows at her own pace. Your pediatrician may find that yours is healthy. She's just progressing slower than her peers. Ask your pediatrician for tips on encouraging development. Children who do have intellectual disabilities will benefit from early detection and therapy. So, visiting a pediatrician is definitely worth it.
If you like articles posted on this website. Please, share them on your social accounts. It could be beneficial for you and your friends.
Anyway, leave us your comments for any question, additional information or tips on how to deal our child's difficulties on learning things.